Thursday, May 8, 2014

Eating Healthy (From a Girl Who Loves to Eat)

My whole life I have loved food. This manifested itself in a number of ways:

For instance, flashback to me, as a high schooler hopping into mom's minivan after soccer practice. To my mom who is turning down the radio, bass bumping, because NPR's fresh air is BLASTING in our eardrums, "Hi mom, what's for dinner?" practically in one breath.
Also in highschool, I both entered and won a number of baking contests, what high school kid loves doing this? I did.

Meanwhile as a 25 year old HAPPY newlywed, I love food, maybe even more than ever. I have the opportunity to experiment making new recipes, and testing them out on my husband.

All of that to say, I am making big attempts not to snack, and to make meals that are not only "healthy" but full of nutrients and proteins.
Here's what I'm making tonight, Colorful Quick Quinoa Grecian Salad (Thanks to Cooking Light for the recipe). Basically David and I have been obsessing over quinoa lately and I have tomatoes and feta.

Here's what you'll need, or if you're like me you'll use some of these things and cut out others.  I'm cutting the kalamata olives and feta cheese down in an effort to stay away from too much dairy and cut back on sodium.


  • Recommended Ingredients

  • 2 cups uncooked quinoa
  • 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
  • 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil 
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice 
  • 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered 
  • 1 cup thinly sliced radicchio
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper 
  • 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber 
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallots

No comments:

Post a Comment